The beautiful man

The beautiful man

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Hat Works - A museum for all?

When I volunteer at Hat Works, i am often there when it is closed which for a museum geek like me is truly brilliant. Equally I love being there when the public are and listening to their comments and thoughts. One frequently heard is the 'I haven't visited before and am really pleasantly surprised" often the expectation that its just pretty ladies' hats ... my old gripe of hats' for the races! When in fact the hatting industry is a plethora of skills, techniques, materials etc. and was not an easy industry to be involved in.

So a brief look at the blockmakers, in many ways my favourite bit.

Manager's Office


Lathes and those gorgeous blocks





William Plant donated aspects of the factory to hat Works when they closed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment