The beautiful man

The beautiful man

Saturday 24 July 2010

Bankfield-Birthday-B&Q!

Sandra Meech

As all my family were elsewhere employed I went to Bankfield on my birthday to see what was on, and had an illuminating hour. At the back of my head was the task to source an object that I can look at for my context work and address it viewed and written about in a wide array of ways. I have been contemplating costume (after exploring the V&A and the 18th century riding jacket), so looking at Bankfield an archetypal museum of the old school seemed to hold much potential. Considering that in the view of the store there is a Victorian blue and white flowered toilet basin, collections of irons alongside a 1950's fish & chip shop counter and numerous other miscellaneous items, objects to create  your own narrative with as they have no labels.

The small children museum room shows historically the movement of childhood, yet take items out and put them on their own in a white room or next to a vacant bed in a more fine art context and the narrative changes. The new room where the beautiful embroidered textiles were is now a story of the  Ackroyd family and their worsted mill, which was fascinating and I learnt  so much, again one sees that if the objects are given another narrative we see them very differently and how we empower the curator, accepting that objects are authentic. The curator creates their take on the story with the objects chosen.
worsted sample book

Plate from workers' canteen
The costume gallery also created questions for me as the range of shoes they have all make one ask questions. from the tiny child's shoes to the shoes of Japanese women who would have had their feet bound. Shoes are often used by artists on their own or in collections to raise questions. The only concern with the shoes is the fact that they are on the same footing as hats, though maybe that is a good thing, something to muse through.

It was the opening of a new quilt show too so it was really interesting as even though I am undertaking the MA Textiles I am not in the know of this world at the moment, also after seeing the work at the V&A quilts the comparison is intriguing.

There were three pieces by Sandra Meech whom I had attended a workshop with 3 years ago on the use of colour and transfer printing. The quilts that sung the loudest were the ones with minimal pattern like strong expressionist paintings. It was also lovely to see a piece by a quilter that I admired in the Victoria and Albert Museum whose name has now been removed from my brain and even a voracious search on their web site hasn't found her!! There is a really good blog by the curator of Quilts on the web site though. Anyway I put them in for perusal. xx
stations
Inspiring, then further inspired by a quick trip to Dean Clough where they had an exhibition by Graphic Designer, Abram Games of posters from 1930's and 40's, beautiful. Then all going so well so thought a quick trip to B&Q to get some plants and my kitchen needs painting! My adorable step daughter had warned me against this course of action and she was right. Found the paint, paid for it didn't balance it quite right on till point had, paint fell,  paint all over my legs and shoes haha, I actually cried, not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment